- Project Title:
- Expansion of Package Sorters Investment
- Start Date:
- Monday, October 16, 2017
- Estimated Report Release Date:
- April 2018
As ecommerce continues to grow at a rapid pace, the package delivery market has created great opportunities for the Postal Service to increase revenues. The Automated Package and Bundle Sorters (APBS) and Automated Package Processing Systems (APPS) automate the sorting process. However additional manual sorting is required prior to dispatch.
USPS manually processes and sorts over $1.5 billion packages each year at a cost of over $250 million annually. The Expansion of Package Sorters investment addresses the need to reduce manual package sorting. By increasing the number of separations on current Package Sorters, there should be less volume that currently flows to bullpens for manual sortation.
We are conducting an audit to determine whether the Expansion of Package Sorters capital investment has achieved the performance metrics and anticipated return on investment.
- Have you noticed improvements in sorting time due to the expansion?
- Have you experience any technical issues with the APBS and APPS after the expansion?
- Are there any overarching or general concerns related to the expansion?
- What are other ways that the Postal Service and improve package sorting operations?